|Shanrahan Parish, from Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1847:
"Shanrahan, a parish, in the union of Clogheen, barony of Iffa and Offa West, county of Tipperary, and province of Munster, on the road from Clonmel to Cork, containing, with the post-town of Clogheen, 7398 inhabitants. It comprises 24, 923 statute acres. Within its limits is Shanbally Castle, the splendid mansion of Viscount Lismore, erected by Mr. Nash, of London: the demesne, which comprises 820 acres, is finely wooded, and, being situated in a valley between the Galtee and Waterford mountains, is surrounded by scenery of a grand and imposing character. His lordship lately erected a lodge in a situation of much beauty in a glen of the Galtees, and encircled it with a plantation of about 150 acres; the agricultural improvements carried on under his inspection afford employment to a considerable number of persons. A manor court is occasionally held. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Lismore, episcopally united in 1774 to that of Templetenny, and in the gift of the Crown: the rectory is impropriate in Lord Lismore, and Caesar Sutton, Esq. The tithe rent-chage of the parish is [pounds] 498.15, of which [pounds] 311.5 are payable to the impropriators, and the remainder to the vicar; there is a glebe of 2 3/4 acres, but no glebe-house. The gross value of the benefice, including the glebe, before the passing of the rent-charge act was [pounds] 434.12. The church built in 1812, having been condemned, was pulled down in 1846, and a new one is in course of erection in Clogheen, on a site presented by Lord Lismore, who has also contributed [pounds] 300 towards the building; the estimated cost is [pounds] 1200, of which [pounds] 900 have been granted by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish, under the name of Clogheen, is co-extensive with that of the Established Church; and contains the chapels of Clogheen, and Burncourt or Shanbally Cross. At Burncourt are the ruins of a fine old castellated mansion, originally erected by one of the barons of Ikerrin, and besieged and taken by a party of Cromwell's army; it was inclosed in a bawn or court of considerable extent, surrounded by a high wall, and, with its tall gables and chimneys, still forms a striking object. At Shanrahan is the burial-place of the O'Callaghan family, of which Lord Lismore is the head. Quin, the celebrated actor, is said to have been a native of this parish."