|Kilwatermoy, Templemichael, and Kilcockan Parishes, from Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1847:
Knockanore Parish, the birthplace of Bridget Ahearn, was the Catholic parish where the three civil parishes of Kilwatermoy ("the church of the upper plain"), Templemichael ("the church of the archangel Michael"), and Kilcockan intersected.
"Kilwatermoy, a parish, in the union of Lismore, barony of Coshbride, county of Waterford, and province of Munster, 2 miles (S.E.) from Tallow, and on the river Blackwater; containing 2400 inhabitants. The parish comprises 6557 statute acres; the surface is in general mountainous. The principal seats are Moor Hill, Sapperton, and Headborough; these are handsome seats surrounded by plantations and ornamented with the river Bride, over which is a wooden bridge. Here is also Janeville. The Parish is a vicarage, in the diocese of Lismore, forming part of the union of Tallow; the rectory is impropriate in the Duke of Devonshire, and the tithe rent-charge is [pounds] 199.8, two-thirds payable to the impropriator and one-third to the vicar. A handsome church was erected about 1831, by a gift of [pounds] 900 from the Board of First Fruits. In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish is part of the district of Knockanore, and contains a chapel. Near the site of the old church is a natural cavern."
"Templemichael, a parish, in the union of Lismore, barony of Coshmore and Coshbride, county of Waterford, and province of Munster, 3 1/2 miles (N.N.W.) from Youghal, and on the road from Two-mile-Bridge to Clashmore; containing 2994 inhabitants. This parish is bounded on the east by the navigable river Blackwater, and on the south by the river Touro, which is navigable for lighters. On Molana, formerly an island, but now united with the main land, an Augustinian monastery was founded in the 5th century by St. Molanfide, who became its first abbot; and Raymond de Gros, the companion of Strongbow, was interred here. At the Dissolution it was granted, with the land of Ballinatray and Rhincrew, to Sir Walter Raleigh, by whom the estate was assigned to the Earl of Cork. The parish comprises 8215 statute acres, of which about 400 are woodland, 900 bog, and the remainder arable and pasture; the land is of good quality and principally under tillage. The scenery is pleasingly diversified, and embellished with woods and thriving plantations. Ballinatray, a seat here, is finely situated in a highly improved demesne, comprising nearly 1500 acres; the deer-park is well stocked, and the grounds are tastefully disposed, and enriched with flourishing plantations.
"The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Lismore, united to that of Kilcockan, and in the patronage of the Duke of Devonshire; the rectory is impropriate in R. Smyth, Esq. The tithe rent-charge of the parish is [pounds] 495.11, of which two-thirds are payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar; the entire tithe of the benefice of the vicar is [pounds] 238.2. There is a glebe of three roods in Kilcockan, but no glebe-house. The church is a neat edifice, rebuilt in 1824 on the site of the ancient structure, the late Board of First Fruits contributing [pounds] 500. In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish is the head of a union, called Knockanore, and comprising the parishes of Templemichael, Kilcockan, and Kilwatermoy; there are three chapels. The remains of St. Molanfide's Abbey are very extensive, and, being thickly overspread with ivy, have a very picturesque and interesting appearance; they are preserved with great care: in the interior is a modern statue of the founder, habited in the costume of his order, erected on a pedestal. A little below these remains are the ruins of the castle of Templemichael, which appears to have been demolished by gunpowder; and to the south, on an eminence called Rhincrew, are the ruins of another building, destroyed by similar means."
"Kilcockan, a parish, in the union of Lismore, barony of Coshbride, county of Waterford, and province of Munster, 6 miles (E.S.E.) from Tallow, and on the river Blackwater; containing 1420 inhabitants. It comprises 4538 statute acres, and includes the modern castle of Strancally, the seat of the proprietor of the parish, a large Gothic building, in a richly planted demesne of above 1000 acres. The parish is in the diocese of Lismore; the rectory is impropriate to the Duke of Devonshire and J. Keily, Esq., and the vicarage forms part of the union of Templemichael. The tithe rent-charge is [pounds] 177.3, of which [pounds] 51.18 are payable to each of the impropriators, and the remainder to the vicar. In the Roman Catholic divisions Kilcockan forms part of the district of Templemichael, also called Knockanore, or Kilwatermoy, and has a chapel recently erected. Here are the ruins of the ancient castle of Stancally, which formerly belonged to the earls of Desmond, and after its forfeiture by that family was granted by Queen Elizabeth to Sir Walter Raleigh, by whom it was assigned to the Earl of Cork. This castle appears to have been partially demolished with gunpowder a long time seince, and was recently struck by lightning, which cased a large portion of it to fall into the Blackwater."