The Sullivan Branch
Patrick and Johannah's daughter Margaret was born in 1840 and in 1860 married James Sullivan, a laborer and Irish immigrant, in Milwaukee and the couple later moved to Chippewa Falls. James' parents were Jeremiah Sullivan and Elizabeth Cronin.

Their son James Sullivan, Jr. was born in Feb. of 1867 and married his wife Laura Wilson (born June 1869) on April 29, 1891; Laura's parents were Deville Wilson, a Civil War veteran who had fought with the Union forces in the Wisconsin infantry, and Mary Beaver. James worked as an editor for the Catholic Sentinel and he and Laura had three sons: George,
Bernard, and Leo born in 1892, 1894, and 1896; in 1900 they were renting a home on Mansfield in Chippewa Falls and had an 18 year old servant from Germany named Mary who had emigrated at the age of two. James, Jr. died between 1900 and 1905 and Laura remarried Dr. Joseph Scamell (born in Massachusetts in 1874); their son William, who later became an attorney, was born in Marysville, Montana in 1905. By 1920 the family had relocated to Oakland, California.

In 1920, Bernard was working as a truck driver for a hardware store in the city of Oakland in Alameda, California. He lived with his mother, Laura, his stepfather Joseph Scamell and his half brother William Scamell. That same year Leo was working as a clerk in a store and living in Alameda with his wife Anna, a public schoolteacher who had been born in California, as had her parents.

Leo, who served in World War I and received a medal for jumping overboard and rescuing a fellow sailor, studied law and was admitted to the California bar in 1921. He was married several times: first to Anna; later to Audrey Bennett, with whom he had two sons; and finally to his third wife, who survives him. She remembers him as a loving father, a devoted husband,  and a brilliant attorney.

George was accidently blinded as a child, but went on to become an attorney in spite of this handicap.

Bernard, whose nickname was Barney and whose wife's name was Bernadette, was a war veteran and a member of a bartenders' union. He was a businessman from the late 1920s forward and a very successful nightclub owner for over twenty years. Following is a brief memoir written by his son, the novelist James Lawrence Sullivan, born November 30, 1934 in Seattle. Writing from Harare, Zimbabwe on January 16, 2004, he relates::

"I am the illegitimate son of Bernard Francis Sullivan and Helene Mathews Puccetti, who assumed the name of Sullivan for at least the last 50 years of her life. After my birth in Seattle, my parents and half-brother Bertram Puccetti and I moved to Oakland, California, where we lived until 1945.

"Then my mother and I moved to Richmond, California --  my brother had been drafted in 1945 to serve two years at the end of the war and for a short time afterwards. My mother remained in Richmond until her death in 1982.

"I lived in Richmond and attended grammar school, junior high school, and high school, leaving in 1956 when I married Doris Holmes. She and I had one child, Michael James, but divorced after two years of marriage. At present he is a helicopter pilot in the army reserve.

"In 1960 Diane and I were married and we have three children: Patrick Sean Sullivan, born in 1961, presently a CIO and vice president in a computer firm; Timothy James Sullivan, born in 1962, presently a police sergeant who passed the California Bar in 2003; and Kelly Anne Sullivan, a teacher's assistant and paramedic. My four children have nine children collectively.

"During my teenage years, I took college prep courses in high school, and although I was ensured that my grades would allow me to enter a good university, my main interest was the Boy Scouts and later the Explorer Scouts, where I attained the rank of Eagle and held all leadership positions.

"In 1959, at the age of 24, I was drafted into the United States Army, eventually obtaining the rank of major, served two tours in Vietnam, trained and worked in all aspects of military intelligence, specialized in Latin America, and finally received a medical discharge in 1976 for bipolar disease.

"Having been an alcoholic for twenty years, I quit the sauce in 1983, quickly became a counselor, and obtained a master's degree in counseling and a PhD in addictions counseling which eventually led Diane and me to open our own business in 1997.

"For the past six years, Diane and I, or I alone at times, have travelled the world, in my case mostly the developing countries of Asia and Africa. She has travelled in 50 countries and I have visited about 150.

"My father, Bernard Frances Sullivan, known as Barney, was born March 5, 1894. He served in World War I in France and Germany. He was a businessman who owned a dry cleaning establishment, where he met my mother who was working for him there. Later he owned a gas station, and finally a night club.

"He came home for only about four hours a day until I was 10, but was considered the best dad on the block. He taught me various sports so that I was able to compete successfully with boys at least two years older than I.

"When my mother and I moved to Richmond in 1945, he started coming home about once a week. He and my mother appeared to enjoy an extremely loving and compatible relationship; it was not until years later that I became truly aware that they were not married.

"Barney also had a legal wife. This lady is buried by his side in the graveyard at Presidio of San Francisco.

"For many years he was a very successful business man, and he and his brother Leo, probably the best known and most successful criminal lawyer in the Oakland/San Francisco area, were the high rollers of the area. To protect the large amounts of money he cashed checks with, and which he carried in his pockets, he also carried a detective .38 caliber pistol. When business decreased, he pawned it and traded it in for a blackjack.

"Leo Sullivan, my father's brother who was about two years younger than he, also served in World War I. He was wounded and started studying law while recuperating in a military hospital. His brilliance was readily recognized when, totally self-taught, he passed the California bar. Many in the field of jurisprudence believed him the most effective criminal lawyer in California, where he practiced from the 1920s until he was disbarred for tax evasion in the mid-1950s.

"I met him only twice, the first time in Oakland when on leave from the Army. I was walking toward where I was told he worked when I noticed a man who resembled my father leave the building.

"'Would you be the famous Leo Sullivan and the man I'm seeking?'"

"'You have the right person. How can I help you?'"

"'Well, Mr. Sullivan, my name is Jim Sullivan, your nephew, and I'm looking for the whereabouts of my father, Barney.'"

"He immediately gave me a bear hug and said,

"'Jimmy, I've heard a lot about you through your pa, and it's definitely a pleasure to finally make your acquaintance.'"

"He gave me a telephone number where my dad was staying, but said to be discrete because his woman (my dad's wife) had been extremely kind to him over the years and 'we would not want to offend her by you suddenly showing up in her life. I really do not believe she knows you exist.'

"The next time I saw Leo was at a Veteran's Hospital in Oakland. He was with his two children, perhaps 9 and 11 years old. My father showed up shortly and we all had a good chat. Throughout my life, I heard various stories about Leo via a scout leader who was a lawyer and also from my aunt by marriage who went to grammar school with him. I also heard stories from various others who had no idea I was his nephew.

"I published a novel,
Tanked, in April, and am presently trying to complete an adventure type book, Gypsy on a Jet, covering about 27 countries I have travelled in since January of 2001."

All three Sullivan brothers died in California:  Bernard in Alameda in 1961, Leo in Alameda in 1970, and George in San Francisco in 1975. Their mother, Laura Wilson Scamell, died in Alameda in 1949 and Bernard's wife Bernadette died in 1977. Dr. Scamell died in 1955




Oakland, Alameda County, California was the site of the first gold strike. The fever that went along with that discovery affected descendents of Patrick and Johannah Hogan for several generations. Click photo to read more.