From the Notre Dame Catholic Church Diamond Jubilee booklet, published 1931, pp. 115-116 (John's brother):

Michael Hogan, pioneer of northern Wisconsin, was born near Clonmel, Tipperary, Ireland, the son of Patrick and Johannah O'Keefe Hogan. The family estate having been dissipated by a trustee, and his father dying, he, reaching manhood, set out for New York via Liverpool on a sailing vessel. On arriving there, friends of the family among city officers offered him his choice of any ordinary job in the city. But he said, "No, I came to America to work my own way." His first job was building stone walls along the Hudson River Railroad. Working west, he worked on canals and other transportation structures and buildings. He was, for a time, on the building of the great stone Capitol of Ohio, and worked west and south as far as Vicksburg. In St. Louis at that time the first Telegraph Line West was being started with an old family friend in charge, who asked Michael to join him, but he again said "No," that he was "bound for the pine forests of upper Wisconsin." And after the Great St. Louis Parade of March 17, 1851, he took the steamboat up to Wabasha and Reeds Landing, and the keel boat to the Falls of the Chippewa.

   Arriving, he found sawing and rafting of lumber the industry. Later going to the Colton Mill on Yellow River, he became an expert sawyer. Returning to Chippewa, he sawed in the Big Rotary Mill until a few years before it was struck by lightning and burned. During this time, when his helper, Charles Marrineau, was taken very sick, Michael invented and planned the first semi-automatic sawmill successfully operated.

   Later he became interested in real estate, and was elected City Assessor; and is said to have held that elective office longer than any predecessor. When the City Water Works was being planned, he insisted that the Parochial Schools be given free water as a small appreciation of the work they were doing for the city. When the city would not put a good sidewalk up old High Street hill to the church and school, he organized a volunteer crew and they built it themselves. When Notre Dame Parish bought the heavy iron fence for the front of Hope Cemetery, he again organized a volunteer crew and they erected it as it practically remains today. Loyal to his Faith, he always co-operated with the Clergy to the best of his ability, and his co-operation was always appreciated by the Reverend Fathers. In 1870 and 1871, when the big stone church was being planned and built, he was an active member of the committee. And when the pews were placed he took the Third at Left Center, and held it until some time after Mrs. Hogan's death in 1901, a period of over thirty years, something of a record.

   Mr. and Mrs. Hogan co-operated with Rev. Sister Rose in starting the first St. Joseph's Hospital. And when a permanent building was planned, he was selected as the real estate expert to negotiate for the site. And he obtained the south part of the present site from Edward Rutledge at a discount of several hundred dollars. Mr. Hogan never made any charge for his work for churches, schools, or hospitals. During The Irish League days he was the local treasurer. The records show him active on the Church Committee at various times, and when the stained glass windows were to be selected the Rev. Pastor, as a vote of appreciation, gave him the first choice; and he chose St. Michael and supplied that window.

   He married Mary Jane Gallagher, February 22, 1860, and they began their home in a house owned by Mr. Judge, formerly occupied by Father Mignault, located at about 115 S. Prairie St., later establishing their permanent home on Grand Avenue, near Duncan Street. Of the immediate family, the senior member, Mrs. Johannah Hogan, was born in Ireland in 1790. Michael was born September 29, 1828. Mrs. Mary Jane Hogan was born in 1833 at Grenville, Quebec, Canada. Their first son was Patrick G., born February 22, 1861. Their second son, John Joseph, was born August 10, 1876.

   Patrick G. died August 7, 1862. Mrs. Johannah Hogan died Febrary 2, 1883. Mrs. Mary Jane Hogan died November 5, 1901, at the age of sixty-eight years. Michael Hogan died January 23, 1908.

ARTICLES                                                                                                                      HOME